City Building - (also known as the Municipal Building) is located at 609 Grove, near the water tower. Office hours are Monday-Friday from 8 A.M. to 5 P.M. Closed daily from 12 PM to 1:15 PM. Our phone number is 785-461-5886.

Wakefield Public Library - The library is located at 203 3rd St and is open Monday and Wednesday from 1 - 7 pm, and Friday and Saturday from 10 am – 4:30 pm.  They offer copy machine and fax services, computer and internet is also available. The phone number is 461-5510. 

Tree Limbs – Tree limbs may be taken west of town on 3rd Street to the City Burn Site.  A key must be picked up at the City Building during regular business hours.

Excessive Vegetation - An ordinance is in effect in Wakefield. Excessive vegetation is when the lawn is excessively unsightly in comparison to surrounding inhabited properties and would cause a nuisance.

Fence Ordinance, Blight Ordinance, etc. - Building Permits are required for any additions to property. For further information, visit the City Building.

Pets - No more than 3 dogs and 3 cats are allowed per residence. Dogs and cats must be registered and licensed annually through the City of Wakefield.  Pet licenses are issue at the beginning of the year and are good through the end of the year.  Licenses are available at the City Building. Proof of rabies vaccination is required.  A leash law is also in effect.

Animal Control - Call PD 785-461-5444, or Superintendent 785-307-2886. If neither can be reached, please call the County Sheriff Dispatch 785-632-5601.

City Council – The Council has 5 members and Mayor.  It meets the first Monday of every month at 7:00 pm in the City Building.  Meetings are open to the public.  The siren is sounded to start each meeting.

Storm Warning – The Siren will blow in one continuous blast until danger has past.  It is blown only if a severe thunderstorm which may cause property damage or a tornado (confirmed by officials) is headed for Wakefield.

Fire Emergencies – Dial 9 1 1.  Wakefield has a volunteer department Fire Chief, Mark Wendelken

Police Emergencies – Dial 9 1 1.  Our Chief of Police is Michael Holte and he can be reached at 785-461-5444.  If no answer, call the Clay County Sheriffs Office at (785) 632-5601.

Ambulance Emergencies – Dial 9 1 1.

Local Phone, Internet and Cable TV – Eagle Communications - 877-613-2453 or 785-632-3118
Twin Valley Telephone - 800-515-3311

School – Wakefield School, USD #379 (K-12) 461-5437


Water Bills - Renters and new home owners are required to pay a water deposit of $130, which includes a $30 administration fee when moving in. When moving out, the deposit of $100 is applied to the final bill and the difference is refunded with interest. The monthly bill includes water, sewer, and trash. Meters are read on or about the 19th of month and bills are sent out soon after. Payments may be mailed to City of Wakefield, P.O. Box 326, paid at the office during office hours or put in the drop box on the north side of the City Building anytime, or paid online on our website at  You will need your account number when paying online.

Delinquent Notice - If the water bill is not paid by the 10th, a late charge is added, and a notice is sent (if renting, a copy will also be sent to the landlord). This is due before the day & time specified in the letter or the water will be shut off. There is a $45.00 reconnect fee plus the overdue bill payable in full before water can be turned back on. Extenuating circumstances must be heard by the City Council at the request of the resident.

Trash - Pick up is once a week, on Thursdays, for the entire city. Pickup is at curbside. Do not put trash out until the night before at the earliest. A cart is provided for your convenience.  No rocks or metal items longer than 4 feet. Tree limbs, grass and leaves will not be picked up.

Electric – Evergy  800-383-1183 

Gas – Kansas Gas Service  800-794-4780